SharePoint 2010 Requirements You Might Miss
- SQL Server 2005 64bit is a supported platform for SharePoint 2010 deployments
- Internet Explorer 6 receives support from Microsoft for Windows XP Service Pack 3 until April, 2014
Your current SharePoint 2007 migration to 64 bit can happen one machine at a time
Also True about SharePoint 2010
- Windows Server 2003 is not supported
- SQL Server 2000 is not supported
- Your hardware, Operating System, SharePoint and SQL Server must all be 64-bit
- Internet Explorer 6 is not a Tier 1 Browser in SharePoint 2010
Preparation Tips – Start Today!
- Apply SharePoint 2007 Service Pack 2 for the bug fixes and the new upgrade check tool
- Run stsadm –help preupgradecheck
- Consider migrating from Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000 if you are using them
- Consider migrating to 64 bit OS and Database to get better performance and prepare for 2010
Create and use 64bit Virtual Machine SharePoint 2007 installs today
- The scope of change is hard to grasp until experienced.
For more information
- Announcing SharePoint Server 2010 Preliminary System Requirements, Microsoft SharePoint Product Team Blog
- SharePoint Server 2010 Official Hardware and Software Requirements, SharePoint Joel’s SharePoint Land
- Can MOSS 32 bit and 64 bit exist in the same farm?, StackOverflow.com Thread
- Prepare for the future: Windows 2008 and 64bit, Shane Young SharePoint Administration MVP
- About performance and capacity planning (Office SharePoint Server), SharePoint 2007 Planning and Architecture, Microsoft TechNet, Updated: 2009-04-23
Update October 14th, 2009: Chad Schroeder pointed out one place where I wrote "SQL Server 2003", which isn’t a real product. I corrected it above to "SQL Server 2000."